Monday, April 20, 2009

From 18,000 feet up. . .

Saturday morning I woke up and all I saw was fog out my window.  Sad right?!?  Not so, I have lived here long enough to know what happens a short time later.  It got up to 90 degrees or so.  What a beautiful day.  Which happened to work out really well due to the fact that I had made some plans with a few friends to go SKYDIVING!!

We waited around for a bit and of course had to sign some papers.   Then we went up.  Took a plane to 18,000 feet.  It only took about ten minutes to get up to altitude.  Then the door was opened and guess who was the first to go.

Yep you guessed it.  We did our front roll out of the plane and then proceeded to do a free fall for about 90 seconds.  Think about that.  If you have a watch on go ahead and look at it.  Count off 90 seconds and see how long that is.  Now imagine falling for that amount of time.  

Keep in mind some of the physics involved.  We jump out and certain things start to take effect.  Gravity has a force of about 9.8 meters per second squared at sea level.  We accelerate rather quickly.  Factor in drag and a few other elements and we reach terminal velocity which is about 120 mph.  Yeah, it gets windy.

This is my jump master John.   
This whole thing was awesome!  What a great day!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Wow - looks like a rush! I want to see actual size pictures!