Saturday, September 20, 2008

Two months of classes

I have now finished two months of classes!  

Time flies when you are having fun! Speaking of flying I am in the Air Force.  Here are some pictures of Basic Training.  I purchased these pictures since I was not authorized to have my own camera.  The pictures that I have are therefore very limited.  For example, I don't have a picture of my Training Instructor.  Dad managed to get some video but I think that is about it.  

In the first picture if I get these all organized correctly, you should see the group of folks that wondered off the bus with me.  Each building is designed so that in the cardinal directions the building  overhangs and gives cover for the four large pads.  This way if it is to hot, or rainy, or drastic weather we are protected from either the direct sun or whatever element is plaguing us beyond what they want at that time.  We all formed up according to height.  Tallest in the front right corner.  It just so happens to be a familiar looking tall lurpy looking red head.  That is where we were taught to stand at attention and our very first corrections were made.  

In this second picture you will see what I lovingly referred to as home!  This is B Bay.  I am off to the left over by the bunk beds.  That middle aisle is all for the T.I. and none of us.  I spent my second Sunday morning in just socks waxing both bays and the hallway.  I didn't wear boots so I didn't scuff the new and still green wax.  For each bed there is a corresponding wall locker.  Two doors.  Left side is the skinny side with one shelf.  All used for hanging up clothes.  The right side is the fat side and short.  Under it it has two drawers.  It also has a shelf.  On the shelves would be hat, flashlight, gloves, and duffel.  Everything folded just right and centered or grounded or flush with the right spot.  Everything would hang on the hangers in just the right way evenly spaced and everything.  The top drawer everything was either folded or rolled correctly and without wrinkles.  the bottom drawer was were the toiletries were all kept on the white inspection towel all in the correct place and clean.  the back half of that bottom drawer was for my chaos.  My letters and anything I was authorized to have lived right there.  The bottom drawer was locked and the key hung around my neck at all times.  My bed was always tight, neat, and wrinkle free.  with my shoes properly laced and placed.  That is how I lived for my stay in Texas.  Very organized.

The third picture.  This was my first haircut.  The first week in basic is called zero week.  That is where you do all of your in-processing.  We went and got our hair cuts done and then we went to clothing issue.  While you are still wearing civilian clothing people refer to you as rainbows.  That is because when you see a group of them marching around they are all different colors.  After that day they are all so similar that we almost look the same.  I think that is the idea anyway which happens to work out perfectly.  In fact, you get to the point that you don't recognize those people when you see pictures of them without bald heads.  And civilian clothes kind of look goofy.  That is until you wear them again.  Then you realize that comfort trumps goofy.      

And for the fourth.  This is week four- warrior week.  This is the simulated deployment situation.  We get taken through what procedures we are to expect.  We sleep in tents like the one behind me in the picture.  You will notice I am carrying a few things out of the ordinary, well, for what you might see on any given day of the week here in the good ol' US of A.  Over our shoulders is slung the M-16 that we carry through most of basic.  During warrior week is the only time we had the other item.  The Kevlar helmet.  If the temperature there was over a hundred we could carry our helmets so we didn't overheat.  I know that other places it gets much hotter and you carry more gear.  This is a training environment and are just getting started with some of these kids.  They don't want to over do it to much or silly people not following orders (like drinking enough water) will pass out.  I am standing in this picture with my wing man Addo.  We had making beds in the morning down to a science.  He is a very good man.  I wonder how long before his father found out he joined the Air Force. . .  

I hope you enjoy the few new pictures.  This last week or so has been pretty tough.  It has been pretty busy.  I have now completed two units.  There are about 12 lessons per unit.  One unit equals one text book of about 350 pages or so.  There are also other supplementary books to the text book we use.  There are about 5 units per term and three terms.  That should give you an idea of about how I am structured.  It is very quickly paced and challenging.  It also produces some results.  I am happy to be here and am looking forward to this investment into my future.  And that of my future family.

This week was also nice because last Saturday I participated in a fundraiser for the Air Force Ball.  Because so many people participated we were given temporary phase grad for the week.  Which meant I had no curfew and no P.C. with the sergeants.  Which left some extra time this week.  It also was nice to feel I didn't have to run all over base trying to hurry up and be places.  Thursday and Friday were the unit test.  Any less stress for that was defiantly welcomed.  

1 comment:

Merinda Reeder said...

I like your pictures. For some reason I hadn't put you on my blogroll. You're on now. :)