Saturday, September 20, 2008

A little of the area

I thought I could share a little bit of what I see around here.  I think Tasha and Mike are the only ones who comment with frequency but I know others see this because I have heard a comment or two.  This is some of what I see by being a current resident of the coast of sunny California.
Dogs are to Chile as deer are to my post.  I see them just about every day I walk outside.  They are so friendly.  Yesterday I stopped by the Hill Top Field where we do our exercises.  There were 17 deer on the field.  I admit, I normally do not see that many on a daily basis.  I usually will only see between 3 and 7, give or take.  I once was walking down the road and on my side there was one eating the leaves off of a tree.  He looked up at me and I just walked to the other side of the road.  Keep in mind this particular road was one of those that is really only wide enough for one car.  It might squeeze in two little cars.  He went back to munching away.  I don't think I could pet one but 10 to 15 feet is a bit close don't you think?   

This next guy was just sitting down there.  He was just peeking around.  I stopped.  I pulled out my camera from my pocket and took the picture.  He just stood there and watched me.  They go after garbage cans and whatever else they do.  I thought this picture was just so random.  One afternoon there he was.  You never know.

I spent Labor Day Monday afternoon at the beach.  I went to the beach with my single's ward.  The water is a bit cold.  It felt good though.  It was a very warm day.  Not to bad though.  Just the right amount of sun.  I didn't even get sunburned!  I went down with the second counselor and his wife.  They had rented a two person kyack for the weekend and it was but to good use.  There were also some folks body boarding and such on the waves.  It really was a gorgeous day.

We had a fire right there on the beach and had a little dinner of salads and burgers, dogs and brawts.  It really was quite tasty.  And my favorite part was definitely the beach volleyball!  I love it.  I think it is actually my favorite sport to play.  I enjoyed it in elementary school.  I was a huge fan when we had the sand to play in at college and now that I have a whole beach I am in love.  It was awesome.  We were playing with a group that loved to just go for it.  People were diving into the sand like crazy.  Nobody got hurt.  That is always good.  It takes some of the fun out when you feel bad for someone.  Mostly people start to pack it in when people get hurt.  As you can see we played until there was no light left to play by.  What an amazing day.  I even caught up with some old friends whom I hadn't spoken to in quite some time.  That was a well needed day off.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are doing very well! :) I am very glad to know that. Keep up the hard work and keep smiling! :)

JenWright said...

Jeremy loves sand volleyball too! The beach looks great--and it's nice to see a bit of what is around you.

Tasha said...

I know Utah has 'critters' like you do there, but it didn't seem like they were where we lived! Since moving to texas we have seen bunnies, frogs, squirels, lizzards, and BUGS!! I can not believe the bugs! And all of this is in our complex. We had a frog on our balcony the other day, no idea how he got there!

Mike said...

I saw a spider at my house yesterday. The bug guy is coming on Friday - so no more spiders for me. I will be playing sand - well mud - volleyball at Blue Lake. Alright the mud is all briney and salty and stinks and it's not fun to stand in and it's cold and thick and grey. Not quite the same. But the water isn't bad - unless you're trying to see through it....