Friday, July 25, 2008

What class is like

First of all for anyone who knows I had a quiz yesterday and our first lesson test today. My scores were as follows respectively: 72.5% and 87.5% I was up until 12:30 studing with two other people last night I had better have improved right? I even studied the night before for several hours. Can you imagine what what I would have got without studing for hours? Amazing huh? This is only the first week. 1 down only 62 to go!

I have converted to the 50-10 standard. My attention span is only 50 minutes. I can do anything for 50 minutes as long as for the next 10 I am free to stop. I can do class for 50 and bathroom/ excersice/ or talk for 10. I can wait for the bus for 50 minutes then ride it for 10. Actually I can also walk up the hill but it feels like I am hiking for 50 minutes. I have a different teacher for for each class period. They rotate between the three different groups. There are 6 people in my class. What a ratio. 1:6! Amazing huh?!? The opportunity I have is really a silver platter one. After 3 periods we go to lunch for an hour then do three more. For now we are doing an extra period at the end of the day for extra study. The only qualm I have with it is that it makes getting to P.T. (physical training) at the Hilltop Field very difficult. I have a stack of books that literaly are like a foot and a half tall and that is only for the first term. There are three terms. And half this material is taken up with english. This is also the smallest stack I will get. I have a lot of chinese to cram into my head! I am so excited! I was also issued an ipod. I will hopefully get my tablet PC within a month. Hard to say at this point. There are in the process of ordering some new ones so I will have to wait for them to get in!

Today after the test we started with chinese grammer. Up til' now it has just been tones and sounds. Although we have learned about what you get out of a high school term in this week we really ought to take off from here. It is very fast paced and I am certainly not the quickest pony on the track. I will require a lot of study time and hard work. It makes it worth it though right? I will have that extra bit of bitterness for those who will get an easy ride stored up for when I have to fight the "bad'ns" like good ol' James Bond!

No comments: